[ale] isapnp modem set-up

Joseph A. Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Fri Mar 9 11:30:42 EST 2001

Sage wrote:

> Okay, anyone out ther in Linux land know ANYTHING at all about how to configure an isapnp modem, TI type? I have no freaking idea.
>
> You know, I insisted that I wanted a NON pnp modem at the store. My husband took the box back, and the 'person' (I suspect him of being an alien) behind the counter insisted that he had sold plenty of these modems to Linux customers in the past, and THEY didn't have any problems (yeah, right). My husband, detesting confrontations of any kind (bless his pointy little head), brought my box back with the same *&^$^ modem in it.

OK, don't be too hasty here. Does the modem have actual switches or
jumpers on it with which you can set the IRQ etc? If so then it's
NOT PnP and you got what you asked for; the only thing you have to do
now is configure it so that the kernel can see it. But first let's
iron out whether it's really PnP or not.

If it IS PnP then I can try to help you out. Configuring PnP
modems using isapnp is in my experience a bit cryptic but
not too difficult. More complicated PnP hardware like sound
cards can be a pain though.

-- Joe Knapka