[ale] 20 gig install problem

Armsby John-G16665 John.Armsby at motorola.com
Mon Mar 5 09:25:19 EST 2001

All,
I thought I had a modern machine so of course I have ignored all posts on this subject. Maybe someone can repost..

I have a PC100 motherboard, 8.4 gig hard drive, dual boot win98/RedHat 6.1.

I bought a MAXTOR 20 gig., Partitioned it in half. Maxtor loaded EZ bios.
Redhad goes through the entire install and them bombs at the end, complaining about the 1024 cylinder issue.

I downloaded a diagnostic which says I have an American Megatrends Bios:
61-0914-000747-0010111-071595-M747.

I found www.pcchips.com which appears to be my manufacturer. There is a bewildering array of "M747" versions of Bios.

Would I be better off using my last PCI slot and putting in a board which enables the computer to "see" and more importantly Boot, the  Maxtor disk?  I see ATA 66 ( Or some such) add in cards....

What are my options?

John