[ale] anyone using a Linux webcam?

Wandered Inn esoteric at denali.atlnet.com
Sun Mar 4 19:16:01 EST 2001

"David S. Jackson" wrote:

> I was just wondering if anyone is using a webcam.
>
> If so, I'd be interested in knowing how you're doing it, whether
> you're using multiple architectures, sharing resources across a
> local network, and how well your experience with it is going.
> Any resources you found helpful would be appreciated too.
>
> Right now, I'm using an Intel cam that will be taking autosnaps
> and exporting them across a samba share to a Linux box running
> apache.  Since the Intel camera isn't working very well on
> Windows, that's as far as I've gotten.  I need to get it
> replaced, I'm afraid.  It was a refurb, so I thought it would
> work, which it did for a few days.  :-)  Oh well.
>
> Anyway, I was thinking of getting a video capture card and
> hooking it up to my camcorder.  One of the Hauppage's looks
> pretty well supported.  Any ideas here?

This is exactly what I did a while back.  I actually had three cams
(two color Musteks and a b/w no name) all which have rca connectors for
both sound and video.  I had thrown together some perl code that would
enable anyone to just click a button on the web site to snap a new
shot.  You'd get one of three different angles.  One of the things I was
experimenting with was trying to create a poor man's 3d image using the
two color cams at different angles and then trying to modify the images
before putting them up on the site.  I never finished that effort
though.

I picked the Mustek cams up at http://www.computergeeks.com com a while
back for about $25 bucks a piece.  I've got a wintv card and two pci
captivator cards.  The captivator cards don't have tuners so they were
pretty cheap as well, $20 I believe.  Right now, I've got a single
camera hooked to my box, but I've since trashed my web site because it
was getting pretty lame.

As I recall xawtv comes with some web cam code, but I've never used it.
I used the xawtv-remote to capture the images and pushed the images to
the web server myself.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at denali.atlnet.com

The
hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his
intelligence."
- Albert Einstein