[ale] Compiling Apache + PHP4

Tom Younker twins at atlnet.com
Fri Mar 2 09:00:40 EST 2001

All:

I worked a tutorial in "Linux Format" magazine, to have a current
Apache / PHP4 / MySQL installation.  Got MySQL installed (mostly) OK,
but got stuck compiling Apache with PHP support.

Apache "make" gives a string of "no such file or directory" errors
in mod_php4.c, on php.h, php_variables.h, php_ini.h, etc.  Here are
the attempts I made to get around this:

export INCLUDE_PATH=/usr/local/php-4.0.4pl1

export INCLUDE_PATH=/usr/local/php-4.0.4pl1/main:/usr/local/php-4.0.4
pl1/Zend:/usr/local/php-4.0.4pl1/regex

copy the header tree from php-4.0.4pl1 into the apache directory where
mod_php4.c resides

add --includedir=/usr to the php4 ./configure ( I thought it would
assume /usr/include)  I copied the header files at /usr/php to
/usr/include AND to /usr/include/php

I edited mod_php4.c to put a path in front of the #include "php.h"
etc, but then had problems when that header included another header
using a relative path (eg #include "../Zend/zend.h")

What am I missing?  I just want current versions of all with the
ability to choose options.

Thanks
Tom