[ale] that stippled gray X background

hirsch at zapmedia.com hirsch at zapmedia.com
Fri Jun 29 16:15:50 EDT 2001

John Mills writes:
 > Michael -
 >
 > At what point in the startup did you run 'xsetroot'?
 > Which window manager are you using?

I actually have a C++ program that starts X, then sets the background,
cursor, etc.  I always get a little flash of Grey.  I don't use xinit,
or anything on this.

I finally found the place where the background is hard coded into the
Server.  I ended up using a hex editor (emacs) to just edit it to all
black.  It worked great.

I really don't understand why there isn't an option to set the
background at startup.  Everything I've seen sets the background after
the grey is drawn.

Thanks for everyones' suggestions,

--michael