[ale] Iptables slowness

Bob Kruger krugerb at benning.army.mil
Thu Jun 28 13:50:25 EDT 2001

Earlier this week I compiled and installed IP Tables for a Slackware
v7.1 (Kernel 2.4.5) server.  I also recompiled the kernel to be able to
run IPTables.  All parts were compiled into the kernel and are not
loaded as modules.

IP Tables started up and ran the first time flawlessly.  The command
iptables -L would give me a listing of my rule instantly.  After
rebooting the system, I've found that iptables -L command will list out
the rule sets, but it takes 10 or so minutes to list out the 20 rules.
This is exponentially slower than it was before.

Any ideas as to what may be causing this?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Regards - Bob Kruger