[ale] Several questions for a newbie

-=(TherMite)=- thermite at mindspring.com
Wed Jun 27 23:49:11 EDT 2001

Hey Everyone
    I just bought a new computer and
I'm trying to configure RedHat Linux 7.0 on it

I have:

AMD Athlon 1.4 GHz
ASUS A6 DDR Motherboard
512 Meg DDR RAM
Sound Blaster Live! Plantinum 5.1
Pioneer DVD ROM
Plextor 16/10/40x CD-RW
250 Meg IDE ZIP Drive
40 Gig 7200 RPM IDE HD
LeadTek GeForce3 4x AGP 64 Meg RAM

So far, I have linux up and running, but I ran into
a few questions

I can't get LILO to install in the MBR because I
have Win2k  running. I'm having to boot from a boot disk, which is ok, but
is there anyway besides removing Win2K, to get a dual boot loader ( I'm gonna
try System Commander 2000 as soon as I find an old win95 boot disk)

The second little problem is my Sound Blaster Live
sounds really rough when sndconfig auto detects it. I downloaded the linux
drivers off creativelabs.com but haven't tried them yet... because I can't get
my Iomega 250 ZIP drive to mount in linux. Linux autodetected it and it has an
entry in /etc/fstab but I keep getting the wrong fstype when I try to 'mount
/dev/zip /mnt/zip'  I've used the -t option and tried fat, vfat, msdos,
umsdos. Do I need to format my ZIP disk to ext2 or what exactly do I
do?

I have the linux driver for my geforce 3 card but
once again I can't install the drivers until I get my ZIP drive
working.

Thanks everyone for the help and please respond
soon.

Thank You,
Roman Dean
thermite at mindspring.com