Q on PPPoE and 24/7 routers (Was:Re: [ale] DSL)

John Mills john.m.mills at alum.mit.edu
Wed Jun 27 08:28:51 EDT 2001

ALErs -

As a slight digression, I wanted to ask how ISPs who use PPPoE (such as Mindspring/Earthlink) coexist with firewalls and routers which are always 'on' at the subscriber's site?

I had supposed that the providers expect to share some resources among their subscribers, and the aways-on user would defeat this.

Do these connections get closed and reopened automagically? Do the links expire and require the user to re-establish them at intervals?

Enquiring minds inquire.

Regards,
 John Mills