Commentary on telocity - was Re: [ale] pppoe and telocity DSL

Thompson Freeman tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Tue Jun 26 16:02:48 EDT 2001

On 26 Jun 2001, John Mills wrote:

> Hi, Ken -

<<snip>>
> I have only three quibbles with Telocity:
>
> 1) They have occasional trouble keeping their nameservers on the air.
>
> 2) Three times (so far), their "gateway" (modem) has lost its link
> to their net.
> The only way I've found to reconnect after (2) is to cycle power on
> their modem. This is a nuisance because the modem and router live on
> a shelf in the basement, and there is no way to recover access if I'm
> not home.
<<snip>>

I'd like to chime in on your point 2). (thankyou). I also loose the link
between the telocity modem thingy and the net and need to power cycle to
regain contact. For me, and I haven't kept the data to be sure, it seems
to happen after 30 + days of uptime. Also, it appears that access starts
getting slower and slower as the connection gets ready to go down.

As such, if somebody has an idea about how to monitor these two
observations, I'd be interested in getting some sort of
confirmation. Also, the obvious treatment would be to power cycle the
blasted thing with a timer - crude but could be very effective.

The harder I work, the luckier I get.
                    Lee Iacocca
Thompson Freeman          tfreeman at intel.digichem.net