[ale] Slashdot, Freshmeat, Slashcode, OSDN, Sourceforge

Transam@cavu.com transam at cavu.com
Sun Jun 24 23:13:02 EDT 2001

> Router failure at Exodus...

> Thus proving that weekends are the WORST time to have a major equipment
> failure with no spare/backup. I kinda went through the same experience
> myself this weekend...just on a much smaller scale. I've learned the
> valuable lesson that when it comes to your single point of failure...it's
> well worth the additional expense to have a hot spare. This applies to
> all mission critical hardware. Not being critical of Exodus...just stating
> the facts.

I would add that a competent company that has reliability and high uptime
as a goal would have done a "failure mode analysis" to know the single
points of failure and ensure that either they have backups or a way to
quickly repair or replace them!

Those of you who negotiate with ISPs should insist on uptime percentages,
longest downtime, and serious penalty clauses in contracts for failing them!
Among larger users of the net this is common.

It does help to have the experience to analyze them but most people can
figure most out, if they care to.  I have the advantage of 5 years at
a company (Stratus Computer) that made fault-tolerant hardware and
being a pilot; in both cases a critical failure is a real unpleasant
experience!

> --
> Jonathan Rickman
> X Corps Security
> http://www.xcorps.net

Bob Toxen
transam at cavu.com                       [Bob's ALE Bulk email]
Fly-By-Day Consulting, Inc.      "Don't go with a fly-by-night outfit!"
Quality Linux & UNIX security and software consulting since 1990.