[ale] Funny Mem Usage

Casey Allen Shobe cshobe at softhome.net
Sun Jun 24 19:18:06 EDT 2001

> Linux is being smart about your memory state. It's best and far faster
> for things to stay in cache than to reload from disk all the time...

Yep, this also confused me when I migrated from 2.2 to 2.4.  The best way to
explain it is that free memory is wasted memory.  Why have 512mb of memory
if you're not going to utilize it all of the time?  You're not really using
all of the memory (try using a nifty GUI memory meter like the one included
in kde2, and you'll see that the largest section is a color which refers to
'cached'.

It will clear itself out in a heartbeat if something else needs it.  Think
of it as working with your memory the way a nice process works with your
CPU.

- Casey Allen Shobe