[ale] Cybernet's NetMAX Professional Suite

Jonathan Rickman jonathan at xcorps.net
Sun Jun 24 11:30:55 EDT 2001

On Sat, 23 Jun 2001, Greg wrote:

> In order to speed up and make easier the administration of Linux I was
> thinking of recommending a purchase of Cybernet's NetMAX Professional Suite
> for my company.  Does anyone have any experience with this software ?  It
> seems to make the installation, configuration, and administration of DNS,
> firewalls, Apache, internet / intranet server, FTP server, and overall
> security easier.

They all work, but it's not something you'll just set and forget. They are
not terribly difficult to install and configure, but it's not as easy as
they claim. The products come with a quirky EULA (for a Linux product).
Note, above I said they work...not work well. The firewall in particular
was extremely difficult to configure with multiple NICs (read 3 or more),
and was a royal pain to maintain. The fileserver pretty much worked as
advertised, but just didn't show enough improvement over any other distro
to justify the restrictive EULA. The webserver was a disaster. After
installing it I decided to upgrade some of the packages...wrong move. The
Netmax scripts wouldn't start the new stuff. If you're looking for
something that can be installed quickly and configured to be "task
specific" from the get-go, I have to suggest Caldera. I prefer Slack...but
it has its quirks as well.

--
Jonathan Rickman
X Corps Security