[ale] Setting up dialin ppp (long)

Ben Coleman oloryn at benshome.net
Fri Jun 22 16:17:53 EDT 2001

> I use the 'call remote' parameters to force pppd to get its options from
> /etc/ppp/peers/remote (see the 'call' parameter in the pppd docs), rather
> than from /etc/ppp/options.

I made a slight mistake here.  'call' doesn't keep pppd from reading
/etc/ppp/options, it just specifies an additional place to get options.  In
my case, however, /etc/ppp/options is empty, as the Roaring Penguin PPPOE
package empties it.  If you're doing multiple things with pppd, this is a
good idea anyway.  Leave /etc/ppp/options empty or non-existant, so all pppd
uses have to specify all of the parameters (or specify alternate options
files) on the command line.

Ben