[ale] Setting up dialin ppp

Thompson Freeman tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Fri Jun 22 14:22:01 EDT 2001

As is far too usual, I've managed to read enough man pages and HOWTO's to
confuse myself. Assuming somebody has a spare clue, I'd appreciate the
chance to borrow it.

In a nutcase, this is the situation. I have a home network hosted on a
RH6.2 box feeding into a dsl line. I want to add the ability to dial in
by normal phone line and have the remote system join the household
network via ppp.

Reading the mgetty stuff, I can now dial in to the hosting system and
login as a shell account, which would at least work in the near term for
my still limited need. I would prefer to be able to run ppp, and properly
surf via gui and all that. The issues I'm confused about are assigning the
hosting ip address, the remote(laptop) ip address, routing so the
remote(laptop) machine is a full member of the internal network, and
probably DNS since the internal net has a DNS server running.

Thank you for the use of bandpass and for the help in advance.

The harder I work, the luckier I get.
                    Lee Iacocca
Thompson Freeman          tfreeman at intel.digichem.net