[ale] Take a look at a new M$ EULA

Leonard Thornton Leonard at Intelis-inc.net
Thu Jun 21 13:36:24 EDT 2001

At 12:59 PM 6/21/2001 -0400, I. Herman wrote:
>Awww....how cute.  I'm sure companies that make stuff like VMware and such
>will love that.  In the way I read it... "No operating our stuff on or near
>anything that is GPL"

The relevant section (unedited)
(Quote)
    (c)   Open Source.  Recipient's license rights to the Software are
conditioned upon Recipient (i) not distributing such Software, in whole or
in part, in conjunction with Potentially Viral Software (as defined below);
and (ii) not using Potentially Viral Software (e.g. tools) to develop
Recipient software which includes the Software, in whole or in part.  For
purposes of the foregoing, "Potentially Viral Software" means software
which is licensed pursuant to terms that: (x) create, or purport to create,
obligations for Microsoft with respect to the Software or (y) grant, or
purport to grant, to any third party any rights to or immunities under
Microsoft's intellectual property or proprietary rights in the
Software.  By way of example but not limitation of the foregoing, Recipient
shall not distribute the Software, in whole or in part, in conjunction with
any Publicly Available Software.  "Publicly Available Software" means each
of (i) any software that contains, or is derived in any manner (in whole or
in part) from, any software that is distributed as free software, open
source software (e.g. Linux) or similar licensing or distribution models;
and (ii) any software that requires as a condition of use, modification
and/or distribution of such software that other software distributed with
such software (A) be disclosed or distributed in source code form; (B) be
licensed for the purpose of making derivative works; or (C) be
redistributable at no charge.  Publicly Available Software includes,
without limitation, software licensed or distributed under any of the
following licenses or distribution models, or licenses or distribution
models similar to any of the following: (A) GNU's General Public License
(GPL) or Lesser/Library GPL (LGPL), (B) The Artistic License (e.g., PERL),
(C) the Mozilla Public License, (D) the Netscape Public License, (E) the
Sun Community Source License (SCSL), and (F) the Sun Industry Standards
License (SISL).
(Unquote)

I love the way they classify Open Source as "Potentially Viral Software".....

Of course I just violated the license agreement by publishing this ... :>)

>--
>body.

The difficult while you wait.....the impossible overnight.

Leonard Thornton
Intelis, Inc.
5960 Crooked Creek Rd
Suite 30
Norcross, GA  30092

Office: 770.825.0032
Fax:            770.825.0028
Cellular:       404.583.5402
Pager:          888.785.9188
Email:          Leonard at Intelis-Inc.net