[ale] Take a look at a new M$ EULA

Fulton Green ale at FultonGreen.com
Thu Jun 21 12:57:56 EDT 2001

Interesting. For those that didn't want to bother with legalese, there's a
clause that in effect prevents a prereleased mobile Internet toolkit to be
distr'd with *anything* that M$ deems "open source" (GPL/LPGL, Artistic,
Mozilla PL, among others, are mentioned).

Nice touch in that the same paragraph also restricts the software from being
distro'd w/"potentially viral software". Such as IIS, I suppose? :)

It doesn't surprise me, given the recent speeches out of Redmond. A question,
though ... reading through the legalese, this doesn't seem to exclude the
BSD license, which allows proprietary derivatives. Also note that it wasn't
explicitly mentioned in the "blacklist".

Thoughts ... ?