[ale] SSH

John Mills john.m.mills at alum.mit.edu
Thu Jun 21 11:08:05 EDT 2001

Bo~m dia, Fernando -

On Thu, 21 June 2001, "Fernando Barros" wrote:

> I have installed
> RH7.0 and i´d like to use ssh. I don´t know almost > nothing about it. Does
> anyone can tell me how to start this service??
> Because i´ve tried
> for several times the connections by PuTTY and i just > get 'CONNECTION  REFUSED'

You don't say how you installed the SSH utilities, so I'll tell what I did in RH6.2.

1) I had a couple of setup problems with the OpenSSH and OpenSSL 'rpm's so I downloaded the *nix versions from the respective http://www.*.org archives, built, and installed them in my system.

2) One of the packages (OpenSSH, I think) requires as a first step that you create a 'key' for your host. This one-command procedure is described in the README or INSTALL file which comes with the sources, and creates a random sequence which your host will offer to users requesting a session. The user will normally be prompted the first time a key is received from a particular host, to accept or refuse the key. If accepted, the same key is checked on subsequent logins to verify you are connected with the same host. [Experts - please correct me if I misunderstood this.]

3) Ensure that /etc/services and any firewalling you have will pass traffic on the port used for 'ssl'. (I believe it is port 22 - anyway, one different from that used by 'telnet' in /etc/services.) [There's a second '/etc/*' control file to check, but I don't have a handy Linux box to look into. Try 'man inetd' for more guidance.] Now restart your inetd if you had to change any control file[s].

4) Initially, start your SSH daemon manually, as 'su':
 "# sshd" should do it. When you have all working, put the 'sshd' command in a suitable startup file, like '/etc/rcd.rc.local', or (more polished) write a start/stop script like those other services may have.

5) You can test the daemon by opening a 'ssh' session to yourself on your own host. From your console screen type (as yourself):
 "% ssh localhost" and you should be rewarded with prompts for username and password, followed by a shell prompt. If you have multiple user accounts, you may test them as well.

6) Now you should be able to open sessions from other hosts. I have used 'ssh' and 'scp' from Linux boxen, 'puTTY' and 'pscp' (which runs from a DOS console) in Win*, and 'Nifty-Telnet' in 'MacOS-8.6' All work fine, either directly or through my LinkSys DSL Router/ Firewall (and on through 'ipchains' in my box).

Hope that gets you started.

Regards,
 John Mills