[ale] Oracle on Linux

Howard Fore me at hofo.com
Thu Jun 21 08:21:11 EDT 2001

There's a great how-to for installing Oracle on Linux at
http://jordan.fortwayne.com/oracle.

For the official Oracle patch for the glibc discrepancy, look on the
same Technet (http://technet.oracle.com) page where you download Oracle.
Basically, you install Oracle but don't let the installer create the
database. Then you run a script that changes the install. Then you run
dbassist to create the database.

The only other gotcha is sometimes you'll get a segfault when trying to
start the installer (runInstaller). This has something to do with the
IBM JDK 1.1.8 that Oracle bundles for the installation. SuSE recommends
the command "unset LANG" before running the installer as a workaround.
Worked for me...

Howard Fore, me at hofo.com
Abraham Lincoln: "The dogmas of the quiet past, are inadequate to the
stormy present. The occasion is piled high with difficulty, and we must
rise with the occasion. As our case is new, so we must think anew, and
act anew."