[ale] Oracle on Linux

Chris Ricker kaboom at gatech.edu
Wed Jun 20 19:04:09 EDT 2001

On Wed, 20 Jun 2001, Michael Smith wrote:

> No go on RH 7.1 so far.  It just sits when I run ./runInstaller.  If I watch
> top, it sits at 4% CPU usage so I don't think much is going on.  If you get
> it working on 7.1 please email me.....

If you read the release notes (painful, I know, but hey, they are there for
a reason ;-) for 7.1 you'll see that the very first thing they mention
is that:

    o The Oracle installation program (versions 8.1.7, 8.1.6, and possibly
      others) does not work properly with glibc 2.2 and above.  The problem
      is that it is linking object files compiled against different glibc
      (binary compatibility is ensured only for linked executables and
      shared libraries through symbol versioning).  You may work around
      this by installing the Red Hat Linux 6.2 compatibility packages
      (compat-egcs, compat-glibc and compat-libs) and issuing the following
      commands before running the Oracle installer:

        export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.2.5
        . /usr/i386-glibc21-linux/bin/i386-glibc21-linux-env.sh

      The second line exports environment variables which will cause gcc
      and ld to look for glibc 2.1.3 compatibility headers and libraries.

It Works For Me when I do that.

later,
chris

--