[ale] kernel upgrades

Joseph A. Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Sun Jun 17 13:06:01 EDT 2001

I just upgraded my Slack 7.1 system to kernel 2.4.5 from 2.2.16.
I must say it was a lot easier this time than the last major upgrade
I did (2.0.x to 2.2.12). I just had to upgrade modutils and
e2fsprogs, built the kernel, ran LILO, rebooted, and everything
worked.

Chris Ricker, a denizen of this list, maintains the
Documentation/Changes file, which is absolutely essential
reading for anyone who is upgrading a kernel by hand. Among
other things, it tells you the minimum versions of all the
different system software packages that you need in order to
run the new kernel, and *where to get them*. Unfortunately,
finding all the pieces can be a major pain even so; for
example, the link given in Changes for the "binutils" package
did not work for me (not critical, since I had a usable version
anyway, but I wanted the latest one).

I'd like to see a site that gathered all of the packages
necessary for an upgrade into one place for easy retrieval.
I'd do it myself, except that I don't have any place to
host that much data (it would run into the tens of megabytes
at least), being on the end of a cable with a very restrictive
acceptable-use policy. Does such a site already exist?
I expect not, or Chris would mention it in the Changes
document.

I would be willing to do the work of gathering all the
necessary software together, and keeping it up to date,
if someone can suggest a site that would host it.

-- Joe

-- Joseph A. Knapka
"You know how many remote castles there are along the gorges? You
 can't MOVE for remote castles!" -- Lu Tze re. Uberwald
// Linux MM Documentation in progress:
// http://home.earthlink.net/~jknapka/linux-mm/vmoutline.html
* Evolution is an "unproven theory" in the same sense that gravity is. *