[ale] good linux

Davis, Ricardo C. RCDavis at intermedia.com
Fri Jun 15 16:00:10 EDT 2001

There's a fine balance between keeping the operations' applications running
and keeping the system software in the support "sweet spot".  The bleeding
edge is for your PC at home or perhaps a spare Pentium 200 in the computer
room.  One of the nice things about Linux/Open Source is that test/staging
system costs are lower than closed-source systems.  Don't upgrade the OS on
your production servers until you've got the app environment well tested on
your staging system(s).

-Ricardo

P.S. Hope you enjoy PostgreSQL ... even though it has its quirks it is the
best RDBMS in the open source arena IMHO.