[ale] Is /dev/loop0 Linux specific?

Darrell Golliher darrell at golliher.net
Fri Jun 15 14:09:44 EDT 2001

  I've used /dev/loop0 for years to mount images of floppies and cdroms like so:
	mount -t iso9660 -o loop=/dev/loop0,ro myisoimagefile /mnt/cdrom

  Now I find myself on Solaris making ISO images and wanting to mount
them this way before burning to CD.  I can't find /dev/loop or
figure out what might be equivalent.  I've read up on the LOFS, but
that only seems to deal with loopback mounting filesystems in
alternate locations-- not mounting files as filesystems.

  Is /dev/loop0 specific to Linux?  If someone can tell me how to do
mount a disk image under Solaris8, I'd be grateful.

tia,

Darrell Golliher