[ale] good linux

Michael Gregoire <Michael Gregoire gregoire at cimedia.com
Fri Jun 15 08:32:04 EDT 2001

Stephen Turner wrote:

> what linux distro do you reccomend and why?

I'm more of a lurker, but I haven't seen any replys that tout Debian yet, so I
figured I would give it a plug.  I recently installed it on a laptop, over the
net from a cable modem connection.  The laptop doesn't have a cd-rom, and
doing Suse over the net required more ram than I had.  So debian became the
obvious choice a few diskettes to get started, and off to the races with the
network install.  Anyway,  there is a steep learning curve, but apt-get I have
just learned is absolutely wonderful to add desired software and update
existing packages.

My primary distribution I have been using lately is Suse and I have been
pleased with it.  I, like a lot of people started on Slackware many years ago,
and sometimes think about going back.

Redhat 4.0 is the only other distribution I ever tried, and it left a bad
taste in my mouth.  That is strictly a personal thing, and I honestly have
nothing bad to say about Redhat.  I tried it and never had a reason to go
back.

My $0.02 worth.

Michael Gregoire