[ale] What happened?

Dan Newcombe Newcombe at mordor.clayton.edu
Thu Jun 14 19:19:00 EDT 2001

On Thu, 14 Jun 2001, Randolph C. Karrh wrote:
> Your correct, until M$ has completely exhausted every avenue and admits
> defeat under court direction not a dam thing will be done. It took Feds
> around 18 years to completely break-up Standard Oil.

And I bet MS has more $$$.  By the time it's all over and done with and if
MS loses, it'll probably be a moot point at that time.    I can just see
it:
DoJ: "Microsoft, you must split yourselves into OS and Applications and
you may no longer tie IE into your products."
Bill Gates, Jr: "But your honor, we did that 18 years ago, and no one even
uses the Internet anymore."
Steve Ballmer(*): "Yeah, since AOL/Time Warner/20th Century
Disney/AT&T/MCI-Sprint replaced the internet with free CD's"
DoJ: "Yes, we're going to start looking into that case tomorrow now that
our lawyers are freed up."

(*) - Steve Ballmer is still around do to massive chemical intake during
college - for reference see Stones, The Rolling.