[ale] RE: 2.4.5 Checksum Problem

Stephen F Nicholas syssfn at panther.Gsu.EDU
Thu Jun 14 16:10:50 EDT 2001

Dow,
Don't really know yet.  Night before last Windows all of a sudden couldn't
see the mouse, but Linux could.  Last night right after I sent the first
message to ale, Linux lost the mouse also.  Swapped mice and it seemed to
work when all of a sudden the monitor clicked real loud, the display went
to a line and it started squealing real loud. I immediately hit the power
switch, but was probably too late, as I could smell something electrical
smoking.

I turned on the monitor today, and it came on but the horizontal display
is stretched way out and will not respond to any adjustments.  It also
started smelling again.  Between the segmentation faults in different
places, the mouse, and now the monitor, I suspect that the motherboard and
/ or the power supply is bad.  Or, maybe I was just unlucky and suffered
two failures back to back.

Banished to the laptop for now (but it does have RH 6.1 :-)

Steve

| Steve Nicholas             |                        |
| Unix System Programmer     |  A risk is not a risk  |
| Georgia State University   |  until it is taken.    |
| snicholas at gsu.edu          |                        |
| 404-651-1062               |  BBROYGBVGW            |