[ale] To NIS or not to NIS....that is the question

Leonard Thornton Leonard at Intelis-inc.net
Wed Jun 13 15:02:55 EDT 2001

I humbly submit the following for your edification and editorializations:

Is NIS a desirable service to run for a small to medium size network?

The network is a collection of Linux / NT / 2000 / 98 / Solaris boxes in a
software development and testing environment on a single private
network.  This private network is connect to the public network via T1 and
IDSL using a Linux firewall with IP Masquerading.  I am considering using
NIS for managing the private network behind the wall.  I currently have DNS
setup for the private net with forwarding to the public net.

What additional benefit do I derive from NIS and is it worthwhile to
implement?

Opinions welcome...flames acknowledged in kind...email bombs returned
unopened and still ticking....

Thanks

The difficult while you wait.....the impossible overnight.

Leonard Thornton
Intelis, Inc.
5960 Crooked Creek Rd
Suite 30
Norcross, GA  30092

Office: 770.825.0032
Fax:            770.825.0028
Cellular:       404.583.5402
Pager:          888.785.9188
Email:          Leonard at Intelis-Inc.net