[ale] ethernet switch issues

SAngell at nan.net SAngell at nan.net
Wed Jun 13 12:28:22 EDT 2001

I am sure this may seem overly obvious but have you tried a crossover cable
between the suspect NIC and another station that is working properly? I have
personally never seen "cheap" cables cause problems unless they were noticeably
defective or were used over distances close to max.

I would first suggest using a crossover cable and trying simple pings to verify
that both NICs are functioning. Do not always assume that if the lights are on
that someone is home. NICS, especially cheaper ones, only see that there is
traffic on the lines. This could be ANY traffic.  I have used some Netgear
products in the past with no problems so I doubt that it is the switch causing
your problems. What were you using as a connection point before the switch? Or
is this your first attempt to network these stations?

Hope this helps.

Steve Angell,  MCSE, CCNA
MIS Operations Manager
TSYS Total Debt Management
Phone 770-409-5570
Fax      770-416-1752

|--------+---------------------------->
|        |          Wandered Inn      |
|        |          <esoteric at denali.a|
|        |          tlnet.com>        |
|        |                            |
|        |          06/13/01 12:10 PM |
|        |                            |
|--------+---------------------------->
  >--------------------------------------------------------|
  |       To:     ALE <ale at ale.org>                        |
  |       cc:     (bcc: Steve Angell/tdm)                  |
  |       Subject:     [ale] ethernet switch issues        |
  >--------------------------------------------------------|

I've replaced the sohoware switch with a netgear switch and I still
can't get this thing to work.  Netgear support told me it was my cables,
that 100baset can have problems with cheap cables.  I was using Belkin
cables, which I believe are pretty decent.  I've since made two very
short cat 5 cables and tried these, but still no luck.

Anyone else had any such problems?  I'm now suspecting it's probably one
of the cards I'm using that is not functioning properly at 100baseT,
although both have leds indicating they are properly autosensing the
proper speed.

I can't believe it's this difficult to get these things to work.

Until later: Geoffrey         esoteric at denali.atlnet.com

The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit
to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his
intelligence." - Albert Einstein