[ale] ATT Broadband and DHCP Help Requested

Transam@cavu.com transam at cavu.com
Sun Jun 3 16:37:36 EDT 2001

Byron,

> > If you have trouble with those lazy morons at AT&T (IMHO), be sure to tell
> > them you have Winbloz95 or something BUT NOT LINUX.

> Absolutely. That's their support policy.

> BTW Bob, you can't call them lazy. And while ignorant is probably correct,
> it isn't very helpful.

When I explained that my new service NEVER had worked and that I explained
that I was a network engineer who verified that my equipment was working
correctly, I could traceroute to their cable modem, etc.,

THEY SHOULD HAVE CHECKED THAT THEY KEYED THE CORRECT MAC ADDRESS FIRST
THING (IMO)!  They screwed up twice, not double checking it the first time
and none of the first five or so Customer NOservice people offering to
check it again.  This is what earned them my "lazy moron" label.

> AT&T's nee MediaOne's policy is very clear and makes sense. They do not
> support any configuration outside of a single machine running Win 95/98/ME
> or MacOS. So do otherwise is a support nightmare.

They still should have (IMO) checked the obvious (mis-keyed MAC address)
since they did take my money.  Since they mis-keyed the MAC address, this
constitutes negligence on their part regardless of whether or not they
choose to "support Linux".

> BAJ
> >
> > After this misery we usually get good bandwidth and good uptime.  We still
> > keep our Mindsproing account as a backup, though.

> And this is why I keep them. I need to start thinking about a backup. I
> canceled both my Bellsouth dial-ups. Any suggestions that's ultra cheap?

Let us agree to disagree and kill this thread (or take it off-line if you
must).

> BAJ

Bob