[ale] OT JOKE:How to Solve a Problem?

Transam@cavu.com transam at cavu.com
Sun Jun 3 13:40:22 EDT 2001

> How to Solve a Problem?

> There was an engineer, manager, and a programmer driving
> down a steep mountain road. The brakes failed and the car
> careened down the road out of control. Half way down the
> driver managed to stop the car by running it against the
> embankment narrowly avoiding careening off the cliff. They
> all got out, shaken by their narrow escape from death, but
> otherwise unharmed.

> The manager said, "To fix this problem we need to organize a
> committee, have meetings, and through process of exchanging
> ideas, develop a solution."

> The engineer said, "No that would take too long, besides
> that method never worked before. I have my trusty pen knife
> here and will take apart the brake system, isolate the
> problem and correct it."

> The programmer said, "I think your both wrong! I think we
> should all push the car back up the hill and see if it
> happens again."

You might have said "M$ programmer" since, due to so many bugs (IMNOHO),
Winbloz is non-deterministic.  A well-trained programmer will determine if
the system is deterministic (repeatable tests yield repeatable results).
If so, there is no need to repeat the test to know that the failure rate
may be 100% or close to it.

Bob Toxen
transam at cavu.com                       [Bob's ALE Bulk email]
bob at cavu.com
http://www.cavu.com
http://www.realworldlinuxsecurity.com/ [My book: "Real World Linux Security"]
http://www.cavu.com/sunset.html        [Sunset Computer]
Fly-By-Day Consulting, Inc.      "Don't go with a fly-by-night outfit!"
Quality Linux & UNIX security and software consulting since 1990.

GPG Public key available at http://www.cavu.com/pubkey.txt (book at cavu.com)
pub  1024D/E3A1C540 2000-06-21 Bob Toxen <book at cavu.com>
     Key fingerprint = 30BA AA0A 31DD B68B 47C9  601E 96D3 533D E3A1 C540
sub  2048g/03FFCCB9 2000-06-21