[ale] automation program for dns creation

James Kinney jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Mon Jan 29 21:41:49 EST 2001

man bash will give some starting points. I use perl for most everything.
Most linux distro's ship with perl. www.perl.org  www.cpan.org and
O'Reilly has the largest selection of perl books on the planet. Start with
"Learning Perl". They also carry a book on the bash shell. WROX publishing
has a great intro book "Beginning Linux Programming" that covers some
perl, some bash, some c, some makefiles, etc.

Bash is the environment you get at the commandline prompt (usually. Some
people prefer other shells, csh, ash, tcsh, sash, perl) It has a bunch
(loads) of built in commands for things like conditional loops, argument
processing, counting, timing, etc. It work natively with the system.

Perl has terrific capabilities for string/text manipulation. It can also
manipulate external programs just as bash can. I have a perl script that
take a mess of data, dumps into gnuplot ith the proper command structure
and outputs plots with curve fitting and error bars. (gnuplot kicks butt!)

JimK
Local Net Solutions