[ale] Linux purchase recommendation needed

John Mills john at mills-atl.com
Mon Jan 29 14:32:22 EST 2001

On Mon, 29 Jan 2001, Donald E Magnusson wrote:

> Any recommendations on where I can buy a pre-configured Linux system?
Dell and Compaq will do this.

Preconfigured drop-in servers are listed by VA Linux
<http://www.valinux.com>.

Preconfigured software is listed by TurboLinux <http://www.turbolinux.com>
and they post installation guides you could read.

You might also see:
<http://www.pc.ibm.com/ww/software/alliances/linux.html>
Big Blue has pre-configured software and vendors of certified
hardware/software packages.

Naturally, for Linux 'Classic': RedHat has a pretty clean installer now,
though I still do a bit of cleanup. [Really I should call it 'outstanding
progress'! You still should know what type of network interface, video,
and printer you have, but you are almost certain to come out of the chute
with a box that basically works.]

> Preferably in the Norcross area.
dunno - checked w/Linux General Store (not Norcross - near G.I.T.)?

Disclaimer: I have no direct experience with any of those companies except
for buying RedHat's 'basic' at my local Office Depot from time to time. I
just patch it together, usually on junk-grade hardware, then whine here to
get [excellent] help.

--
Regards -
 John Mills