[ale] accessing Linux drives under Windows! acK!

Les Neste lesneste at atlnewmedia.com
Mon Jan 29 13:01:41 EST 2001

I just did this with Redhat 6.2.  The key word here is 'Samba', a piece of
software that lets a UNIX system share a drive or directory such that it
shows up in the Windows 'Network neighborhood'.  After this, file transfer
is a matter of drag and drop.  Very cool.

Of course, my scenario is accessing across a network, and you said you want
to access a local drive on the same host.  Not sure if Samba helps in that
scenario but it may be worth a look.

see http://www.samba.org

It took me about three hours to study it, download it, install it, and get
it running.  I have to admit that, for some reason, I haven't been able to
get it to start automatically from inetd.conf.  Instead, I have to run a
separate script to start it.  If you figure out how to add it to the list
of auto started services maybe you could let me know.

HTH.