[ale] open source backup solutions

Gary S MacKay gary at edisoninfo.com
Thu Jan 25 18:08:45 EST 2001

I know you said 'Open Source', but in case you don't find anything, check
out TapeWare from Yosemite. It is the best backup by far that I've found.
They have Linux,Novell, and NT versions and not only that, but they are as
close to pixel for pixel exact (between platforms) as you can get. I
purchased BRU commercial and used it for a year or so. It was nice but would
not do "seek" restores. Restores took as long as the backup did. (hours).
Tapeware installed without a hitch, restores files (same drive/server/etc.)
in a few seconds, has a WinXX front end to administer it from, isn't any
more expensive than Veritas or BRU.

Side Note: Tapeware is now the software that HP packages with all of their
tape drives, not Veritas anymore.

- Gary