[ale] getpw()

Dan Newcombe Newcombe at mordor.clayton.edu
Tue Jan 23 23:12:26 EST 2001

getpwent() - it returns a struct that has the individual fields.
I don't remember the behaviour if shadow passwords are enabled - I
believe the password field is *.

There is also getspwent or something like that that deals with shadow
passwords, which only root can use.

There are also some functions in the man page for getpwent that let you
search via uid and other things.  I think the correct name for getspwent
can be found in the man for shadow.

	-Dan