[ale] Mixer/Recorder

Glenn C. Lasher Jr. glasher at nycap.rr.com
Tue Jan 23 06:56:37 EST 2001

On Mon, 22 Jan 2001, I. Herman wrote:

> How hard is it to do?  I am not totally up on console yet (not in linux
> anyway).  I just wanna record a couple of guitar tracks and that's bout it.

Once you "get it" it's a piece of cake.  Until you "get it" it's a piece
of shit.

To record, you might do something like this:

ecasound -c -z:db -i /dev/dsp0 -o a_wave_file.wav

This means:
	-c Command mode (lets you start/stop/rewind)
	-z:db Double buffer (makes cleaner recordings)
	-i /dev/dsp0 Where to get input
	-o a_wave_file.wav where to put output.

To mix, you might do something like this:

ecasound -a:1 -i a_wave_file.wav -a:2 -i another_wave_file.wav -a:all -o\
	yet_another_wave_file.wav

This means:
	-a:1 select "chain" 1
	-a:2 select "chain" 2
	-a:all select all "chains"

If you want to overdub, it supports that, too, but works best if you have
two soundcards.

glasher at nycap.rr.com
After 163 days, Verizon still couln't deliver Telocity DSL.