[ale] Matrox Ultra ATA 100 w./ Linux?

Chris Egolf cegolf at ugholf.net
Fri Jan 19 07:14:51 EST 2001

On Wed, 17 Jan 2001, Benjamin Scherrey wrote:

> I'm trying to upgrade my RedHat 6.1 box to 6.2 (or even 7) but when I go
> through the install it claims that there are no devices capable of being
> installed to. I'm also trying to replace my old drive with a Matrox
> Ultra ATA 100 40GB drive which apparently is the problem. Does anyone
> know of any drivers for this drive? I've got an ABIT BP6 motherboard
> with the latest BIOS which is supposed to support this drive type.

The 2.4 kernel will recognize the HPT366/370 chipset that this motherboard
uses, and there are patches for the 2.2.x kernel.  However, if you're
trying to install Redhat to a drive connected to this channel, you'll need
to enable the ide2 &ide3 channels without adding the support first.

Take a look at this mini-HOWTO, especially the section titled "Enabling
HPT366 without UDMA/66 support":

http://www.csie.ntu.edu.tw/~b6506063/hpt366/

                               Chris Egolf
             http://www.ugholf.net     cegolf at ugholf.net