[ale] dongle feedback

Mark R. Lindsey 30ae+fdd4.e6e4__ at mark.datasys.net
Mon Jan 15 21:09:24 EST 2001

: Does anyone have any user opinions on NICs that are dongle-free (like the
: Xircom) and supported by the pcmcia package?

The 16-bit 3Com X-Jack NICs work very nicely. The X-Jack connector even
has informative LEDs.

: We're also considering wireless, but that's another can of worms
: for a later post.

I like this combination of 802.11b equipment:
	Lucent WaveLan Turbo Gold (``Orinoco'')  ($170)
		Easy-to-patch-in driver written by Lucent
		Supports 128-bit encryption

	Apple AirPort basestation ($300)
		A freebie Java configurator is available
		Includes 10Base-T, modem, and 802.11b interfaces
		Only supports 56-bit encryption

Lucent has also recently introduced an 802.11b basestation, and it's
probably functionally identical to the Apple product. IIRC, Apple sub'd
the AirPort basestation guts engineering to Lucent.

Unfortunately, the Airport Basestation is built with a Lucent WaveLan
Turbo Silver, which only supports a 56-bit encryption. (I read in
CACM that the 56-bit key got its start with IBM engineers who wanted
to use parity bits for transfers between registers, but I digress.)
An article on slashdot.org demonstrates that it's possible to `upgrade'
the basestation to the better card. Nevertheless, on principle, it
makes sense to me to spring the extra $10 it costs for the `Gold' card
instead of the `Silver'.

Lucent also sells a range-extending antenna, which will also work with
the Apple Airport. (If you own a drill and care not for the warranty.)