[ale] pine close delay

Stuffed Crust pizza at shaftnet.org
Mon Jan 15 08:43:09 EST 2001

On Mon, Jan 15, 2001 at 08:08:07AM -0500, James Kinney wrote:
> I'm looking for pointers to try and figure this out. When I close pine,
> the system freezes for 10 to 20 seconds, no user input allowed, no network
> traffic, zilch, the hard drive light is full on with little blinking.
> Toward the end of the freeze, I can hear the hard drive pounding like mad.
> Screen refreshes are even put on hold. Then it finishes what ever it is
> writing and all is well. It's really annoying to close an app and have to

Okay..

1) Huge mailspool file.  Probably shouldn't matter.
2) Hard disk problems/errors/something likat.  Look at /var/log/messages
   to make sure that your drive isn't spewing errors left and right.
3) If there are errors, they're probably in the swap space.
4) Turn on DMA, etc on the hard disk... yadda yadda...

 - Pizza
--
Solomon Peachy                                    pizzaATfucktheusers.org
I ain't broke, but I'm badly bent.                           ICQ# 1318344