[ale] Acroread 4.0.5 and XF86 video mode question

Vernard Martin vernard at cc.gatech.edu
Thu Jan 11 16:16:16 EST 2001

> I have a 2MBy S3-trio video card which is giving me 1024x768 display. How
> can I check what color depth I am setting up? I have depths of 8 and 16 in
> various XF86Config screen sections, and don't know what is being used.
>
> I would expect (2,048,000/1024)/768=2.6+ should allow 16-bit color.
>
> Real problem: I just installed Acroread-4.05 on this system and its color
> management renders the reader itself and also the rest of my screen pretty
> much unreadable.
>
> Any way to bring this pig under control? Can I still download Acroread-3.x
> and use it in a libc-2.1.3 installation?
>
> This is RedHat-6.2 with GNOME/enlightment.

the command "xdpyinfo" will output the current info of all X displays running.
Look for the stanza that starts "scren #0". The 3rd line down from that is
"depths" and it should say 16.

There is an option called DefaultColorDepth that you can place in your
XF86Config file to force it to start up a specific color depth when it starts
up. If this isn't set, then it'll default to the lowest color depth that is
defined in the file. You can override all of this by passing in options in on
the command line such as "startx -- -bbp 16". Check your man pages on "X" and
"XF86config".

hope this helps