[ale] 2.4 and PCMCIA

sad at valinux.com sad at valinux.com
Sun Jan 7 15:58:04 EST 2001

On Sun, Jan 07, 2001 at 03:01:39PM -0500, David Corbin wrote:
> I have a working Debian (testing) Dell Inspiron 7K.  I'm trying to
> upgrade to the 2.4 kernel.  My network card is not recognized.   It is a
> D-Link DE-660.  I know that 2.4 now incorporates the PCMCIA stuff in it,
> and I believe I've selected the right CONFIG options to have it compiled
> into my kernel (not as a module).  But, when I boot, no eth0.
>
> Is there anything else I should have to do to get this to work?  other
> tips or ideas?

Where did you see a config option to select a driver for a DE-660?
I looked through-out the various menuconfig options and did not see
anything that mentioned this card. All there was close to this was
drivers for DE-600 & DE-620 which are listed as parallel port ethernet
adaptors.

In many cases the pcmcia support present in the new 2.4.0 kernels is
not as complete as what you get from David Hind's actual pcmcia package.
For cards which are not covered with kernel drivers, you will still
have to obtain source to David's pcmcia package, compile modules by hand,
and them place them into /lib/modules/2.4.kernel_version/pcmcia/  You
will have to do this after compiling your 2.4.whatever kernel under
/usr/src/linux since the config scripts for the pcmcia package will
look for kernel config stuff from there. Once it sees that you have
selected kernel support for hot-plug devces it will not build any of
the driver modules, just the new version of cardmgr utils. You then go
down into the directory where the drivers are stored and do a make for
your particular modules. For instance to build the pcmcia driver for
a 3Com 575 card I would do:

make 3c575_cb.o

and then move this into the pcmcia module directory as I stated above.

After running depmod you should them be able to reboot with your new
kernel.
Steven A. DuChene	sad at valinux.com
Southeast US Systems Engineer
VA Linux Systems	http://www.valinux.com