[ale] "includes" in html

Les Neste lesneste at atlnewmedia.com
Sun Jan 7 13:42:20 EST 2001

I have to stick in one more plug for the pre-runtime compilation method.
Recognizing that PHP is easy to learn and use, free, and widely available
on many web hosting solutions, I still use compilation prior to putting up
static HTML pages on the server for the following reasons:

- most of my site is a portfolio / project list, and I often want to put it
on a CD-ROM or display it from a system with no live net connection and no
PHP server
- I still like the idea of minimizing server load at run-time by not
requiring that every page be interpreted
- I've gotten used my own set of XML-like tags (here's the banner, here's
the top nav bar, etc) that I include in my HTML source so I can recompile
them as needed with a few simple Perl scripts to produce final static HTML.

I also think PHP rocks and is a great tool for DB-driven sites.

YMMV.

At 02:22 PM 1/7/2001 +0000, Agent Durga wrote:
>On Sat, 6 Jan 2001, Kenneth W Cochran wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Is there an .html "analog" to C's #include?
>
>actually i was trying to figure out the exact same thing a week or two
>ago, and the easiest solution is to convert your pages to php....it's got
>the ability to do includes and the includes can be just html files if you
>want...
>
>i'm in the process of coverting my entire website over to php because of
>it to make content creation much faster and easier to maintain...
>
>hope that helps...
>
>-drew
>
>--
>   The best book on programming for the layman is "Alice in Wonderland";
>     but that's because it's the best book on anything for the layman.
body.

Les Neste
Cellphone 678-778-0382
Web http://www.lesneste.com