[ale] VMWare and LILO configuration

Subba Rao subb3 at attglobal.net
Sun Jan 7 08:39:44 EST 2001

On  0, Kent Pirkle <kpirkle at ga.prestige.net> wrote:
> I'm curious as to why you are using LILO with VMWare?
>
> I have my Win98 guest installed as a virtual disk. I created a menu
> item in my GNOME favorites menu with the following startup
> command:
>
> /usr/local/bin/vmware -x -q /home/kmp/vmware/win98/win98.cfg
>
> This automatically starts up my Win98 virtual machine.
>
> -x = power-on vmware machine on startup
> -q = exit vmware on power off
>
> Unless you have a particular need for the guest OSs to reside
> in a real partition, you'd probably be better off formatting
> those partitions as ext2 and using vmware virtual disks.

I want to install the Guest OSs on the raw disks such as /dev/hda5.../dev/hdb4
etc. In case I update my Linux to 2.4 at a later date, the guest OS installation
and data would not have to be reinstalled. VMWare is not finding the raw disk
guest OS installation, until I mention it in lilo.conf. Virtual disks seem to
have a limitation of 2 GB per disk. Raw Disks do not have such restrictions.

--

Subba Rao
subb3 at attglobal.net
http://pws.prserv.net/truemax/