[ale] dhcp/gateway question

Robert Butera rbutera at ece.gatech.edu
Tue Jan 2 17:51:42 EST 2001

On Tue, 2 Jan 2001, Les Neste wrote:

> I'm getting some funky behavior as follows: if I take out the card for the
> LAN side, the DHCP request works fine and I'm up and running on the net at
> large.  However, if I put the second card in, even if it's not connected to
> anything, the DHCP request fails.
>
> Does anyone have experience with this?  Any hints?

On my SuSE machine, I explicitly specify on which interfaces dhcpcd (for the
cable modem) and dhcpd (DHCP server for the LAN) should be run.  I don't
know how RedHat configures nowadays, but are you explicitly specifying which
interfaces your dhclient should use? Or is RedHat assuming some sort of
default order, which could explain your problem? (e.g. it could be that your
LAN is eth0 and the DSL is eth1 and your dhclient trys the cards in order. I
don't know which dhcp client RedHat uses, but I know that dhcpcd uses eth0
unless you tell it otherwise).

Hope this helps!

Robert Butera, Assistant Professor
Institute for Bioengineering and Biosciences
Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, GA, 30332-0363 USA
--> http://www.ece.gatech.edu/users/rbutera/