[ale] RH 7.0 wth boraken compiler

JB Wells jbwellsiv at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 2 15:34:22 EST 2001

If I remember correctly (I can't put my hands on it
currently), gcc that was packaged with RH 5.2-6.2 was
actually egcs.  Try "gcc --version" or something along
those lines to prove me wrong.

I agree that it's somewhat confusing, but I remember
researching some problems I was encountering and found
that tidbit of info.

Good luck,
John

--- Chris Fowler <ChrisF at computone.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm reading the tread on RH use of a broken compiler
> and am a little
> confused.  I've always used gcc but never egcs?  why
> are there so many
> different compilers?  If I upgrade gcc on my box do
> I need to compile egcs
> as well?  Many of my old distributions incluude libc
> and not the gnulibc
> stuff.  It is becoming difficult to compile newer
> software on distributions
> such as RH 4.2 and Slack 3.0.  Why is that?
>
> Thanks,
> Chris

=====
John B. Wells IV