[ale] Modules not found!?

Michael Kachline kachline at compgen.com
Fri Aug 31 16:29:25 EDT 2001

> I'm sorry I didn't include that.  modprobe: message says module not
> found and on the startup screen.
>
> I did do "make modules" and "make modules_install".  modules.dep under
> /lib/modules/2.4.9/ is empty.
<snip>

	My suspicion is that you need to upgrade your modutils package.
Take a look at /usr/src/linux/Documentation/Changes and look for
"modutils". It will tell you which version you need, as well as how to
determine what version you currently have.

	I know that I had to go through this with my RH 5.2 box, though,
probably didn't do *something* right, as, I still must insmod modules by
hand (modprobe still tells me that it can't find modules). If you need a
quick and dirty kludge, you should still be able to insmod individual
modules by hand out of their respective subdirs under /lib/modules/2.4.9.

						- Mike
 Michael Kachline
 Systems Programmer

 Phone - Desk:   404-705-2848