[ale] two connections to internet??

tewkewl at mindspring.com tewkewl at mindspring.com
Thu Aug 30 14:17:10 EDT 2001

Or use ospf...  gated and zebra both support ospf routing... Even though you are not talking from one router to another, you should be able to set up ospf on your firewall between the interfaces...make sure the bandwidth on both segments is set to an equal statement. (as ospf uses this to determine best hop)  OSPF then should in theory load balance between the two circuits.  (Of course this is only a logical theory based on standard ospf routing...I have never set this up before... )  Check out these links though.

http://www.ospf.org
http://www.linux.com/howto/Adv-Routing-HOWTO-16.html
http://www.gnu.org/software/zebra/zebra.html

-Patrick

leonard at intelis-inc.net wrote:
> Wht not build a single firewall with 3 Ethernet cards? (2 external
connection and 1 internal connection)  Setup you DSL as a primary route
and the cable as secondary in your routing entries.  Use NAT and
prtforwarding to route traffic to your mail / web / ftp servers on the
internal network from the outside world.

Gary MacKay wrote:

> Ok, here's a weird question for you. I had RoadRunner service and
> recently installed a DSL line so I could have a dedicated IP. (Yes, I'm
> aware of dyndns.org, but choose not to for now.) Currenly my firewall
> box is connected to the DSL and my cable modem is sitting here mocking
> me with it's little blinking lights. It was way faster than this DSL,
> and I just can't bring myself to shut if off. My question is, can I have
> both? :) Something like this?
>

>                      Internet             Internet
>                          |                    |
>                      firewall 1           firewall 2
>                          |                    |
>                          +------- hub --------+
>                                   / \
>                               mail   workstation(s)
>                               srvr
>
> I envision just setting the gateway address of my workstion(s) to
> firewall-2 so I can enjoy the fast connection for every day browsing,
> but the email/web server will use firewall-1 as it's gateway so the
> fixed IP will work for it. Will it work? An added benefit would be if
> one goes down, I could switch the gateway addr and keep browsing!
>
> I realize I could split them apart as two seperate networks, but then my
> workstations would have to go out the cable modem and back in the DSL
> line to check email. Seems kind of wierd when the boxes sit about four
> inches apart!!
>
> - Gary

The difficult while you wait...the impossible overnight.

Leonard Thornton
Intelis, Inc
leonard at intelis-inc.net