[ale] two connections to internet??

Joseph Andrew Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 29 17:38:09 EDT 2001

Gary MacKay wrote:

> Ok, here's a weird question for you. I had RoadRunner service and
> recently installed a DSL line so I could have a dedicated IP. (Yes, I'm
> aware of dyndns.org, but choose not to for now.) Currenly my firewall
> box is connected to the DSL and my cable modem is sitting here mocking
> me with it's little blinking lights. It was way faster than this DSL,
> and I just can't bring myself to shut if off. My question is, can I have
> both? :) Something like this?
>
>                      Internet             Internet
>                          |                    |
>                      firewall 1           firewall 2
>                          |                    |
>                          +------- hub --------+
>                                   / \
>                               mail   workstation(s)
>                               srvr
>
> I envision just setting the gateway address of my workstion(s) to
> firewall-2 so I can enjoy the fast connection for every day browsing,
> but the email/web server will use firewall-1 as it's gateway so the
> fixed IP will work for it. Will it work?

Yes. And since "mail srvr" and "workstation(s)" are on the same
physical network, they can talk to each other directly
without the out-via-cable-back-in-via-DSL problem you
mention below.

> An added benefit would be if
> one goes down, I could switch the gateway addr and keep browsing!
>
> I realize I could split them apart as two seperate networks, but then my
> workstations would have to go out the cable modem and back in the DSL
> line to check email. Seems kind of wierd when the boxes sit about four
> inches apart!!
>
> - Gary

# Joe Knapka
# "You know how many remote castles there are along the
#  gorges? You can't MOVE for remote castles!" - Lu Tze re. Uberwald
# Linux MM docs:
http://home.earthlink.net/~jknapka/linux-mm/vmoutline.html