[ale] IrDA on desktops

Robert Stickel rstickel at mindspring.com
Wed Aug 29 09:36:55 EDT 2001

I have not seen any consumer products that plug into a mobo, but HP has
an IrDA Designer's Kit (P/N HSDL-8001) that includes two IR serial
dongles (Parallax LiteLink), two 1-inch square circuit boards and some
documentation.  The boards have an IR transceiver and a 10-pin header
labeled:

  Bout    --

  Rcv     Txd

  Gnd     Gnd

  Sout    Rxd

  Vcc2    Vcc1

The docs explain these connections.  If you can't plug one of these into
your MB, you might still be able to use a LiteLink on a serial port.
The kernel IrDA package includes a LiteLink driver.

--
Robert Stickel
rstickel at snapserver.com
(Atlanta)