[ale] Trivial SMTP server

Joseph Andrew Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 24 12:13:59 EDT 2001

Jonathan Rickman wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Aug 2001, Joseph Andrew Knapka wrote:
>
> > Hey everyone,
> >
> > I'm looking for an ultra-stupid, works-out-of-the-box-
> > with-minimal-configuration daemon that will do nothing
> > but accept mail on my Linux box's port 25 and deliver
> > it to a smart-host. Ideally, I'd like the configuration
> > process to be as simple as telling it what smart-host
> > to use and that's it.
> >
> > The reason I want this is that I use POP for all
> > my incoming mail, but sometimes I want cron jobs
> > or such to be able to send me email, and I want
> > that email to end up in my my regular mailbox on
> > my ISP, not in a local mail folder. Currently I'm
> > not running any SMTP daemon at all. I'm sure
> > sendmail is over-overkill for this job, and I
> > shudder at the thought of configuring it again
> > (it's been a few years since I've done it --
> > carefree blissful years, I might add :-).
>
> This is not the answer you asked for but here goes...
>
> Why not run sendmail/fetchmail locally and just point your POP3 client of
> choice at a local mail folder? Most allow you to do this anyway. Fetchmail
> is really nice, and sendmail/procmail locally can be very useful as well.
> If it's a ease of configuration issue, try this out...
>
> http://cork.linux.ie/projects/install-sendmail/
>
> This nifty script will take care of configuring sendmail/fetchmail on your
> machine. I can verify that it works flawlessly on Red Hat, Mandrake,
> Slackware, Caldera, and Suse.

Actually, upon further consideration I guess it would be
nice to not be dependent on my ISP for this kind of thing.
So I'll check this out. However, it seems there's one
missing piece of this -- I'll need to run a POP server
as well, yes?

--
# Joe Knapka
# "You know how many remote castles there are along the