[ale] somewhat off topic, not like any windows user would evenget it..

Glenn C. Lasher Jr. glasher at nycap.rr.com
Fri Aug 24 12:23:37 EDT 2001

On Thu, 23 Aug 2001, Jeff Hubbs wrote:

> Tascam/Teac and Otari were making mighty fine deckage past 1980.  I have
> a Teac from c. 1981 here and it works very nicely as far as audio
> quality goes although its transport is a bit twitchy.

I had the pleasure of working with Otari and Tascam decks at a couple of
different radio stations (WETD, 90.9FM, Alfred NY and WBSU, 600AM and 89.1
FM, Brockport NY, both college stations) back around 1989-1994.  I used to
do production for these stations, and these decks were the way to go when
making a cart, because carts were very unforgiving (the recorders
generally didn't have erase heads).  So you would do your takes onto
reels, then dub to cart afterwards.

The radio station I'm involved in now (91.5FM, WRPI, Troy NY) has gone
wholly digital on the carts, so you can start recording, do your takes,
and when you get your "perfect take," you simply select the portion of the
recording you want made available for airplay, give it a name, and Wham!
you've just made a cart.  Much easier to do.  All DOS-based,
unfortunately, but fairly reliable.  This is where I've encountered the
professional sound cards, but I couldn't tell you what they are, just that
they sound really, really good.

> If you have a card with an S/PDIF i/o port, well, that's your ticket -
> you buy a converter and that way, all the audio guts are out from inside
> the computer where they don't belong in the first place.

I guess the placement of the DAC's in the computer was a field expedient,
more than anything else.  Thinking like a non-audiophile, one would be
inclined to ask where else they might go.  Only thinking like an
audiophile does the answer become clear.

I am not enough of an audiophile to need an external DAC, just as long as
the onboard DAC's are fairly clean.  For my needs, they are.  It's nice to
know the option is there, though.

glasher at nycap.rr.com
After 163 days, Verizon still couln't deliver Telocity DSL.